Although I’ve sewn a few things so far, I’d never actually completed an item of clothing. I’ve started several, but they’re all still in various stages of “not quite finished”. However, Simplicity’s Blogger Challenge spurred me into actually starting and finishing something!
I picked the easiest option – pattern 2286, which gives 6 different options for elasticated waist skirts. Not being overly fond of “girly” clothing, I picked option B; no lace, overlay or frilly bits!
At only 5′ tall, I normally have to decrease the length of clothing, but I felt that 16″ was still a little too short for a skirt worn just below the waist, so I added a couple of inches to the length. But just adding to the length wouldn’t be enough to make it my own style, and being a relatively new sewer, I didn’t want to dive into something that would be beyond my skills!
I added in one pocket rather than two (I prefer the asymmetrical look), and found some fantastic daisy trim that I hoped would work around the edge of the pocket. When the package arrived with the fabric and trim, the trim was a little larger than I had thought, and would overpower the pocket if I used it all the way around!
As luck would have it, I came across a flower button in the local sewing shop, which was a perfect match on size for the trim. But just sewing on a button wouldn’t be enough for me…. no, I had to make a working button, which would mean tackling my first ever buttonhole.
Thankfully my sewing machine has an automatic buttonhole setting, so after a quick practise, the final hole came out perfectly! Ok, it could’ve probably started about a centimetre lower down so it didn’t overlap the top stitches, but it works!
I stitched the trim with a single line across the centre, and caught it into the pocket stitches on the sides just to help it stay attached when the skirt goes in the wash.
And just to prove that the buttonhole works: