Monthly Archives: Aug 2018

Strawberry Button Up (UFO)

Following on from my Owl Button Up shirt, I rediscovered this metre of strawberry fabric I had purchased in the Abakhan sale last year, and thought it would be ideal for another Button Up*.

Rather than using poppers this time, I thought I’d do it the ‘proper’ way and use some fancy buttons instead. The only disadvantage is that the buttons really need hand sewing in place, because of their shape – I couldn’t get them to sit level for machine sewing!

I’m hoping this one won’t take too long to finish – they’re forecasting some more warm weather for September, so it’ll give me a great opportunity to wear it if I’ve finished it by then!


*affiliate link
Pattern: Button-Up Top*  by Winterwear Designs*
Fabric: Abakhan

Beachy Sunday My Way

Something a little different today, and my latest Sunday “My Way” bag! I wanted to try out my sewing machine’s decorative stitches, and what better way than on the top stitching for the pockets?

I added in a clear popper to both pockets just to help keep it closed, while hopefully not detracting from the stitching. 

I struggled with the curved edges this time – the lining ended up caught up in places, and even gets caught in the zip! I think that was down to inaccurate cutting in the first place…. maybe the lining is a bit bigger than the bag itself? 

I had added in some extra height to the bag, so I can fit a water bottle in it – I forgot to change the markings to enable me to match the front and side pieces together, which would’ve helped tremendously if I’d remembered those!

It’s still a usable bag (as long as I’m careful with the zip) though, and that’s what matters.


Pattern: Sunday “My Way” bag
Fabric: Fashion Fabrics

Tropical Jeans

Unlike most of my sewing projects, these tropical jeans never actually entered the UFO (unfinished object) stage! I’d originally purchased a metre of this fabric to make a t-shirt, but then realised that all my t-shirt patterns required either horizontal and vertical stretch, or 40% stretch as a minimum. This fabric only had 20% horizontal stretch, so it was destined to turn into a pair of non-denim Real Deal Jeans* (can you guess this is my favourite trouser pattern at the moment?).

I will admit I fluffed the buttonhole completely – I started far too close to the edge and once I’d opened the buttonhole, I realised it just wasn’t going to be practical to use.

So, to save trying to somehow redo the waistband with the bit of fabric I had left, I decided to just zigzag over the failed buttonhole (I’ll probably add some ribbon or something over that at a later point), and add poppers instead!

Unfortunately I didn’t put the popper over far enough, so the zip is visible (oops!)

The poppers still make the waistband nice and comfy, and although I haven’t (yet) added any belt loops, I might wear a belt with these trousers just for added reassurance that the poppers won’t suddenly unpop while I’m wearing them!

I do love the way I was able to be creative with my fabric placement for the back yoke – given this was all squeezed out of a metre of fabric, I didn’t think I’d be able to be quite so picky with my layout!


* affiliate link
Pattern:  Real Deal Jeans* by WinterWear Designs*
Fabric: Cotton Elastane from Fashion Fabrics