It’s taken me a little while to get back to finish this Button Up*, but it was worth taking my time on!
I had the idea of adding in piping to the armholes instead of using bias binding, which worked much better. The piping adds just enough interest to the arm, without making the seams too bulky.
Rather than adding in poppers again, I bought some fancy buttons and hand stitched them on. The only thing I did do ‘wrong’ was the orientation of the buttonholes – I stitched mine horizontally, but afterwards realised that shirt buttonholes are usually vertical!
But it is a perfectly wearable and comfortable shirt – I just hope we get a lot more hot weather so I can wear it!
The photos for the next few blog posts will be delayed a little, as my camera is currently being repaired. Hopefully it’ll be back soon, so I can get the photos sorted, and the (backdated) posts can go live!
One of my quicker makes, this one wasn’t a UFO for long!
Not only did I add in the bias binding for the armhole and side seams, but I decided to be creative with the stitching on the front panels. I picked a contrast goldy brown thread which stands out against the purple without being too ‘in your face’, and chose a couple of decorative stitches to top stitch those seams.
I cheated and used poppers instead of buttons, but with smiley poppers like these (especially those which match the flowers on the shirt), how could I resist?
It might be meteorological Autumn, but I’m still in a summery mood – I’ve been working on my latest Button-Up Top*. Like with my strawberry button-up, I decided to make this one sleeveless, which shortens the sewing time quite a bit.
I used some bias binding I had lurking in my sewing bag to bind the collar, and I think I might use the same to bind the armhole and side seams as well, just to add a little bit of interest to the inside.
It’s been a long time coming, but I’ve been determined to finish some of my UFOs over the summer, and my Real Deal Jeans are my latest completed project!
Ok, so I admit that the Real Deal Jeans* by WinterWear Designs* are really designed for denim, but I didn’t want to attempt that just yet! This fabric is a lot lighter weight than denim, but should be perfect to wear on late summer evenings and into the autumn.
I think I lined up the back pockets a little incorrectly – they seem a lot further around to the side than they should be…. but they’re still wearable, and that’s what matters!
As you can tell, I didn’t bother pattern matching any of these pieces – with a splotchy pattern to the fabric, I didn’t really feel there was any need. And without the need to do that, I managed to get these jeans made from just one metre of fabric!