I had the opportunity to sew something from this amazingly warm fur-backed fox sweatshirt fabric. Of course my thought immediately went to another hoodie – but then I realised that what my winter wardrobe was really lacking, was a pair of warm joggers for winter walks.
This was my first make using the Apostrophe Patterns My Fit Joggers pattern, which probably was rather reckless given that I didn’t even make a muslin first. But I’m pleased with how they came out, even though I do need to adjust the elastic a little, as I think I was a bit too generous on the waistband measurements!
Do you remember the camping themed shirt I blogged about a couple of years ago? No? Well I’m not surprised, as it’s been so long, I hadn’t realised I’d not actually posted the finished shirt!
It’s always a nerve-wracking process sewing the buttonholes when you’re pleased with the progress you’ve made. One tiny little mistake, or something nudging the automatic buttonhole lever, could mess up the buttonhole and prove really challenging to fix!
Thankfully the buttonholes all went smoothly, and my Camp-a-long Critters button-up shirt is finished!
I do like the shape the princess seams give to the shirt, although either some pressing or topstitching might make those seams sit a little better.
Ok, you can see where I didn’t have enough fabric to even pattern match the horizontal stripes, but I don’t see the back of my own shirt when I’m wearing it!
One sleeve head has come out more ‘puffy’ than the other, which I think is a clear sign that I really need to get my head around the whole concept of “easing” fabric. I either end up with accidental puffy sleeves, or lots of pleats and tucks in the sleeve fabric where the easing hadn’t gone to plan.
I did try a few different ideas for drawings for this envelope, but nothing seemed to be working. So rather than draw something and feel frustrated that it wasn’t up to my usual standard, I decided to just go with a faux calligraphy ‘mail art’ envelope instead.
This also meant I was able to use my metallic gel pens, which do catch the light really well. I think they’d look even better on a darker envelope, although Royal Mail do prefer a white envelope (or at least a white sticker for the address), as their machine struggles to read it otherwise.
It’s been a long time since I’ve watched Hong Kong Phooey, but it’s also a cartoon I’ve only ever drawn once! So what better option for this mail art than Hong Kong Phooey jumping out of the filing cabinet?
As you can probably guess, I didn’t leave myself much space for the address 😛 I skipped any faux calligraphy, to let the illustration stand out better.
Going through my photos, I realised there were quite a few sewing projects that I hadn’t actually blogged, so be prepared for some random changes in my hair length with photos!
This is the Around the Block Hoodie, which features a contrast diagonal panel across the bodice and sleeves, plus in-seam pockets and a cross-over hood.
I didn’t want my contrast panel to be really contrasting, so I picked out two designs of French Terry which had matching background colours, while still being within the same nautical theme.
The hood itself is lined with the contrasting fabric, which I also used for the ties. So far I’ve not been able to find some quality ribbing to use for the cuffs and waistband – everything I’ve used has either been quite thin, or has lost its shape after a few washes. Rather than risk that again, I stuck with the main fabric for the waistband and cuffs – if that stretches out in the wash, then at least the entire hoodie will stretch along with it!
The only thing I wish I had done, is shorten the pattern to allow for being 5′ tall! This hoodie is considerably longer than the ones I’d normally wear. However, after wearing it for a while, I’ve got used to the longer length, and it does keep my warm!
Most, if not all, hoodies have a kangaroo pocket on the front, but because of the diagonal panel, the Around the Block hoodie has in-seam pockets. They weren’t hard to sew, but sometimes I find myself going to put something in the pocket on the front – which of course isn’t there!
My nautical hoodie is finished off with some multi-coloured topstitching – I had some Gutermann red white and blue variegated thread left over from a previous project, which worked really well.
With the way our weather seems to be heading, it won’t be long before it’s chilly enough to wear this again!
I’m sure you’ve realised that I really enjoy sewing bears – especially ones from the Polar Bear pattern that was in Simply Sewing several years ago. I was offered the opportunity to make something using this faux fur, and it just had to be two brown bears!
These bears were made at 200% sizing, which was just the right height for this one to try helping to sew his brother!
I’d crocheted these mugs and cakes several years ago, and they seemed the perfect photo props to use for these two bears.
Not long after these photos were taken, these two bears went on a little adventure of their own, moving to live with an old school friend’s two sons.
Head over to the Minerva site to find out more about these really cuddly bears I made.
With Euro 2020 taking place, I had to draw a football themed envelope, although I’m not convinced that Donald Duck would get through the entire match without at least a yellow card!
Because I want to make sure the address doesn’t run if the envelope gets wet, I used a permanent pen for the faux calligraphy, and also for the typewriter-style address lettering. Maybe I need to get a permanent brush pen, so I can write the address in ‘proper’ calligraphy!
“This just in” – the classic words of news anchor Kent Brockman on The Simpsons. I had another attempt at using my watercolour pens to colour the drawing – this came out better than my previous attempt, but it still doesn’t really look fully blended. Maybe I need to use specific watercolour paper instead of a generic envelope!